Best Practices For A Healthy Smile
Posted by Floss Family Dentistry Dec 27, 2022
If you take care of your teeth, they’ll take care of you throughout your life. Good dental health is important to your overall wellness.
Follow these best practices for keeping your smile healthy between regular visits to the dentist’s office.
- Brush your teeth thoroughly twice a day with fluoridated toothpaste. The American Dental Association recommends brushing twice daily for two minutes each time using fluoridated toothpaste. This habit can help stop tooth decay and gum disease before they become serious conditions.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months. Don’t use the same one for too long because it can become worn out over time, which means it will not clean your teeth as well as a new brush will. If you aren’t sure when to replace yours, ask your hygienist during your next visit.
- Don’t use a hard-bristled brush; it can cause damage. Purchase a soft-bristled brush and use gentle motions when brushing your teeth. Your dentist can recommend a specific type of brush if you need a recommendation.
- Remember to floss at least once a day. Many people don’t floss because they think that their teeth are already clean from brushing alone. However, only flossing can remove particles of food and plaque that a toothbrush cannot reach. After you eat a meal or snack, make sure to floss to remove any food particles stuck in between your teeth, too.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash to reduce bacteria and fight bad breath. Some over-the-counter mouthwashes contain alcohol that can dry the mouth out and cause other issues, so check with your dentist about the best mouthwash that can benefit you.
- Rinse your mouth with water after you eat or drink anything other than water. Water will help rinse away leftover food and bacteria that can cause decay.
- Eat a healthy diet. Limit snacks as much as possible and choose fruits and vegetables over sugary foods and beverages when possible. If you do eat something with a high concentration of sugar, make sure you brush your teeth or at least rinse with water afterward.
- See your dentist every six months for a cleaning and checkup. These appointments help prevent dental issues like cavities, gum disease, and more from occurring in the first place. If you are overdue for an exam, call our office to schedule your next appointment today!
At Floss Family Dentistry, we offer high-quality dental services using advanced technology. To learn more or to schedule an appointment with us, call us at (801) 610-7200 or visit our dental office at 2183 West Main Street, Suite 301A, Lehi, UT 84043.